It’s one of my favorite times of year! It’s the middle of summer, baseball just started, my father’s birthday is in a few days (the family always comes together and those are always my favorite times), and the 4th of July is right around the corner. I love the 4th for many different reasons. The one that I want to talk about here is the fact that UFO Festival happens around the 4th.
You heard that right, UFO Festival. It’s an alien festival in Roswell, New Mexico that runs for 3-4 days and is a magical time. I have always been an alien enthusiast since I can remember. I don’t know what it is about it. This festival boasts a parade of lights, 5k/10k alien chase, live music, costume contests, lectures, the list goes on and on. I have gone twice now and both times have been quite the experience.
Our first trip out was a little more itinerary driven since we had never been and wanted to take everything in. This last time was a little more lax. It is definitely something to take in at least once in your life.
Roswell, New Mexico has been portrayed in many different movies, T.V. shows, etc. but do you know the real story? I will give you a quick synopsis, but for the full story follow this link.
The year was 1947, it was a quiet night in July, when a disc shaped object crash landed on a ranch in the outskirts of Roswell. Many people speculated what it could be, most said extraterrestrial, however a lot of people have said it was a weather balloon. Regardless of what your belief might be this festival is based around that event. It spans for a few days every July, the days are never the same as they don’t know exactly what day the “balloon” crashed. UFO Festival is July 5-7th this year. I would, however, suggest you go early to catch their 4th of July fireworks show. It’s one of the best I’ve seen to date. You won’t be disappointed.
A few things to note about this festival and town:
1) Don’t worry about how close you are to the city center it’s a pretty small town and we were within walking distance to pretty much everything. *Wear tennis shoes
2) Go check out the Alien Museum and fun zone, but buy souvenirs either at the gas station or one of the souvenir shops that is off the beaten path. *They have the best shirts and alien figurines.
3) If you like burgers, who doesn’t, eat at Big D’s! This is definitely a staple while we are there.
4) If you can, check out the lectures and panels. Whether you are a believer or skeptic it is pretty interesting.
5) The parade of lights show is usually one or two floats that go around in a circle a few times….this can be skipped.
6) The run is a lot of fun. It takes you through the neighborhoods of Roswell and you get a sweet commemorative shirt from it.
7) Most of all, go with a friend or five! This is such a fun place and they have a wine and beer garden that they just revamped. You have to drive or cab it to this place, however, because it’s off the main strip quite a bit. We walked to it, but that took about 20 minutes, in New Mexico heat….not fun.
Here are a few of my favorite captures from my time at UFO fest. If you go, share yours!! I can’t wait to see. Alien lovers UNITE!